Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2019

More Music for the Masses

I start this post with two songs in mind that I would like to recommend, and no idea of those that will follow.

Follow me, dears.  It will be an adventure.

Traveling Alone - Jason Isbell

There's something so perfect in this song's lyrical composition, all the lovely detail in the verses that pulls you in and gives you a feel for where he is and what he's doing and what he's done.  And then the chorus repeats quite simply, "I've grown tired of traveling alone, won't you ride with me?"  It's filled with artless weariness, and yet the feeling that maybe there's a new beginning in store.  

Another Try - Chris Stapleton

Now, it's no secret that Chris Stapleton has some serious songwriting credits to his name.  He was penning country hits before he ever left the Steeldrivers to become a hit himself in the country world.  I first heard this song when listening to Josh Turner's album, Everything is Fine, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  But it wasn't until the other day that I realized Stapleton wrote this song and had his own recording of it out there.  And it wasn't until I listened to that recording that I realized how the song should be heard.  To be fully appreciated, it needs that more stripped down quality rather than the full country band treatment.  And those harmonies in the second chorus get the song and make it at the same time.  And that's without even Stapleton's vocals.  There's no growl here, folks.  It's all simple sincerity.

***

There's been a break here, not because I couldn't think of what else to say, but because life called.  When I started this post, it was midday and I was fine and fresh.  Now, you have typical tired Anna.  The time is 10:50.

Continuing on.

You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone - Brooks & Dunn with Ashley McBryde

The first song of Ashley's that I remember hearing is "Andy (I Can't Live Without You)".  That's a lovely song, and you should probably listen to it.  She has a very cool style, and has worked very hard at her artistry for years and years, and only recently, thanks to Eric Church, has she become more known in the mainstream.  So, here comes Brooks & Dunn with their Reboot album, where they take their old hits and remake them with current country stars.  "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone" was already my favorite Brooks & Dunn song.  The chorus is so simple, yet perfectly captures the tension and the mood of the song.  And I knew Ashley's talent.  So I had high hopes for this remake, and I was not disappointed.  The original was country.  The reboot is beautiful country, and those harmonies give it something that it didn't have before.

JOY - Ellie Goulding

The last three songs could easily go on a playlist together.  "JOY" does not belong on that playlist.  I'm typically ambivalent toward Ellie Goulding.  She has some great songs that I don't see anyone else doing anything similar to ("Explosions," anyone?), but in general I find that her production is either too poppy or too overdone for my taste.  "JOY" starts so simply, and builds up.  I do find myself wishing that this little song's climax had been done a little more organically, but it's got such a lovely contrast between verse and chorus, and such a complex taste overall, I'm inclined to overlook that.

Learning How to Bend - Gary Allan

Whew, we're back to the country!  I think when Gary Allan is at his best, he has a very interesting, unique feel to him, something strange and subtle he adds to the song that I can't quite describe.  The songs that I would say show this the best are "Best I Ever Had," "Life Ain't Always Beautiful," and of course, "Learning How to Bend."

The Prayer - Aaron Watson

No, Aaron Watson hasn't started singing in Italian.  You remember when Johnny Cash took "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails and made his own iconic version of it?  Well, Aaron Watson has written a song about Johnny Cash singing "Hurt."  And it's pretty darn good.  When Aaron Watson does something well, he does it really well. 

And on that note, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment